Interview with Maria V. Snyder

Rita: Was it hard to transition from fantasy to sci-fi?
Maria: Not really.  I wrote sci-fi short stories for a few years before writing fantasy.  Writing INSIDE OUT was a nice break from writing fantasy, although not having magic to solve problems was a bit tricky  

Rita: Will you ever write in the Sitia/Ixia world again?
Maria: Yes.  There are so many characters that I can expand on and write their stories.  Characters like Reema and Teegan from SPY GLASS, Fisk is an interesting character and Quinn and Heli, and....

Rita: How in depth with your research do you go?
Maria: I like to do as much hands-on research as possible in order to be able to translate the experience for my readers.  As for other research, I'll learn what I need to know and try not to get sucked into doing months of research.

Rita: What was it like writing your first novel, Poison Study, was it  the hardest to write? If not, which one was?
Maria: I wrote Poison Study when my kids were babies, so my goal was to have one chapter written per month.  It took me about 3 years to complete it and another year to revise.  While it took the longest - now I write a novel in six months - it wasn't the hardest because I had time to think about my characters and plot.  I think the hardest book for me to write was SPY GLASS.  My protagonist, Opal Cowan had to make a big decision and it was so hard for her and me!  I cried when she finally decided, but then the book was easier to write.

Rita: What kind of books do you read? And who is your favorite author?
Maria: I read all different genres, but mostly fantasy, science fiction, mystery, and suspense.  I've been reading a lot of YA books lately.  Naming a favorite author is like naming my favorite child - it's impossible.  However, I can name a few of my favorites     Rachel Caine, Kate Elliott, Connie Willis, Harlan Coben, Dick Francis, Barbara Hambly, Julie Kagawa, Sebastian Junger....uh, that's a few...right?  

Rita: Which character in your books is the most "you"?
Maria: I would like to say Yelena, but, truthfully Opal is more me - especially when I was in middle and high school.

Rita: Are you a coffee drinker or a hot chocolate person?
Maria: I'm a tea drinker     However, I do enjoy mixing hot chocolate with coffee as a treat.

Rita: What kind of donut is your favorite?
Maria: Lemon Crème filled - yummy!

Rita: Are you a pantser or a plotter or somewhere in between?
Maria: Pantser!!  There is no between - I write by the seat of my pants and love it  

Rita: Thank you so much for your time and for the wonderful books you have written. I have really enjoyed reading several of your books this last year.
Maria: I'm so glad you enjoyed my books. Thank you inviting me onto you blogs.  If you’re readers would like more info about me and my books, I have the first chapter of all my books on my website as well as a number of free short stories they can read.  I also have a page full of writing advice for any aspiring writers out there     Here’s the link: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/    And my blog is: http://officialmariavsnyder.blogspot.com/

The cover for her next book:

2 comments:

  1. I've been really wanting to read Maria V. Snyder's books and hope to soon. Thanks for the author interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried too when Opal finally made her decision - out of joy! I was so relieved with it :)

    Great interview

    ReplyDelete